Can you imagine the O-M-G moment I had once I realized 2017 is The Year of the Rooster? Like woah. So on that note… out with the old, in with the new… but first,
2016 RECAP: Last year I swapped coffee for matcha, chopped my hair and dyed it pink and Chris and I celebrated five year of being together. I bought a new car (I didn’t really have a choice considering I got a lemon and it all went to hell on me) and after almost 10 years and millions of mocha frappuccinos and caramel macchiatos later… I quit my job at Starbucks.
Social Media: After my sister convinced me to finally get an Instagram, and my website got a total re-vamp, my blogging started to take off! I started making YouTube videos, got to collaborate with some amazing brands, attend several special events and got to meet some inspiring content creators.
Health & Fitness: Last year I really committed to eating healthy 90% of the time (with the occasional cheat day because life) and finally found a workout routine I could do 4-5 times a week and actually enjoy. For Christmas, my gift to myself was a Nutri Ninja! I’m excited to incorporate juice into my diet and stick to my fitness and eating goals I achieved in 2016.
Music: We finished our album!!! FINALLY after about four years of writing and recording together, Chris and I finished our self-titled debut for My Lucky Vice! Now the real work begins… but I’m SO excited for what 2017 has in-store for MLV!
- GET SH*T DONE
- SLAY ALL DAY
- BE YOUR OWN BOSS!
First and foremost, I believe you should write things down that you want to accomplish (hence this post) and secondly, and probably most importantly, have a plan. Set goals, set deadlines, stick to them and hold yourself accountable.
“Be the change you want to see in yourself” – Desh
- GET AN AGENT – I’ve been acting for years. I went to an arts high school, I’ve done commercials, I’ve done a sh*t ton of community theatre and I’m a SAG-AFTRA member. *SAG-AFTRA stands for Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation for Television and Radio Artists. I took a break from acting for a few years to focus on music but now that our album is finished, I want to get back into acting. I’m truly passionate about films (especially indie films) and television. TV shows have come SO FAR over the years. Chris and I rarely make it to the theatre (unless of course we’re seeing one of the Star Wars films) because frankly, we’d rather Netflix & Chill and binge-watch our favorite TV shows with a glass of wine in the comfort of our own home. There are SO MANY good shows out there, with great writing and incredible actors, I would love to be a part of such an amazing experience and this year, I want to push myself and do something out of my comfort zone as an actor.
- RELEASE OUR ALBUM – I’ve been singing since I could talk and writing songs since I was sixteen and got my first guitar. I’ve been in several bands, played dozens of shows and have written hundreds of songs but my newest project is by far the most excited I’ve been about something musical I’ve worked on in years. Chris and I formed our duo, My Lucky Vice in 2012, shortly after we met. It started with Chris wanting to help me record my songs on my own since I couldn’t afford studio time. One thing led to another and we realized how well we wrote together and everything just clicked. Chris wrote poems in high school and is naturally a gifted writer so lyrics seem to come naturally to him. Our music backgrounds are completely different (my dad raised me on classic rock like The Stones while Chris grew up loving 80s music and EDM. We shared a mutual love for bands like Linkin Park and The Killers and through combing our different tastes and experiences we found our sound. This year we have several goals for MLV. Release our album, make music videos and start playing live shows. Oh and getting signed because goals.
- PASS THE RE EXAM – I’ve always had a love for homes and interior design and after almost a decade of being a barista… I decided I wanted to do something different. I wanted to focus on something I would truly enjoy and could make an income but have flexibility to pursue my artists passions. In 2016, I completed all 3 RE courses and now all I need to do is take the RE Exam to get my Real Estate License! Wish me luck! I plan on this being one of the first things I accomplish in 2017!
- FINISH MY SCRIPT – As much as I love being in films themselves, I also enjoy writing them. I wrote my first full-length screenplay before I even graduated high school and have worked on several others since. I’ve had one story I’ve been working on for years. I really believe in it but several of it’s core elements are very personal to me and I’ve had to take a break from working on it from time to time. This year, however, I plan on finally finishing it and doing something with it! I’m very proud of it and with all the blood, sweat and tears that went into making it and getting my ideas out on paper and I won’t let it become something forgotten that collects dust and never get’s made. I believe it’s a story that needs to be told and in 2017, I want it to be a story I share with the world. Stay tuned…
- TRAVEL – I love to travel and although I haven’t really been anywhere that exciting, I love making the most out of every day and everywhere I go, whether it’s someplace local or a girls weekend for even a night or too. This year however, I want to ACTUALLY travel. I want to visit a new country or a state I’ve never been. I want to eat new foods, see new sighs, do something that scares me. I want to discover something new about myself in a new place, make new friends and have a new life-changing experiences I can’t experience anywhere else.